Do I Qualify for the ¥100,000 Special Cash Payment? | Guidable

Do I Qualify for the ¥100,000 Special Cash Payment?

By Guidable Writers May 19, 2020

Due to COVID-19, people around the world are asked to stay at home, and with it, the economy is taking a hit. Japan is no exception, and as a result of these restrictions, companies are going bankrupt one after another.
Meanwhile, on April 20, 2020, the Japanese government announced a “Special Cah Payment” of 100,000 yen for all Japanese citizens as an emergency economic measure in response to the spread of the new coronavirus.
So, are you included in the benefit entitlement? Are you wondering “How do I apply if I’m included?”, and “When will I receive my money?”
This article will give you an overview of the Special Cash Payment”.


Are Foreign Nationals Also Eligible?

The answer is yes!

If you meet the following two conditions, you are eligible for the 100,000 yen benefit.

– You hold resident status in Japan for more than 3 months

– You are recorded in the Basic Resident Register (住民基本台帳) on April 27, 2020

The basic resident register serves as the basis for administrative processing for residents.

According to the Basic Resident Register, a foreigner who has a “Resident Card” is obliged to notify the municipality (city, ward or town office) in which he or she lives when entering Japan, or moving to a new city, ward or town.

Please note that short-term visitors (tourist and business visas) and illegal residents are not eligible for the benefits because they are not recorded in the basic resident register.

How Do I Apply?

There are two basic application methods: the postal application method and the online application method.

– Application by mail          

Fill out the application form sent by each municipality to the address on the certificate of residence, and return it to the municipality along with the necessary documents.

– Online application    

Apply from the My Number portal site (, only available for those in possession of a My Number Card (not the paper notification card, the plastic card with your photo on. There is an English page on the My Number website with instructions on how to receive your My Number Card).

Please Click on following links to get a further instruction about how to fill out application form.
Gaijinpot Blog:

How Soon Can I Apply?

The application date will be determined on a city-by-city basis and applications will be mailed to you as soon as possible.

Please check your local municipality website. The application deadline will close three months after the application start date.

Benefits will be given to all eligible applicants, not on a first-come-first-served basis, but it is best to apply in advance because an application rush is expected.

What Documents Do I Need When I apply?

Please note that the required documents vary depending on how you apply.

If you have a My Number Card, you can apply online without waiting for the application documents sent by the municipality.

–Application by Mail:

①Identity verification documents (My Number Card copy, driver’s license, health insurance card, etc.)

②Bank account confirmation documents (bankbook or cash card showing the name of the financial institution, account number, and account holder)

–Online Application

②Bank account confirmation documents (bankbook or cash card showing the name of the financial institution, account number, and account holder)

※If you have a My Number Card, your identity will be verified by electronic signature, so the ① identification documents are not necessary

How Do I Receive the Benefit?

The money will be deposited to the bank account noted in the application for each household.

※If you don’t have a bank account, take the necessary documents to your local municipality office and you will receive the payment over the counter.

When Will I Receive the Benefit?

The government has not set the payment dates uniformly and the timing is left to and varies from municipality to municipality.

For the latest information, please check the official website of each municipality.


This article was an overview of the Special Cash Payment at this current time. The important point to note is that the timing of application and payment of benefits is left to each municipality, not to the government.

Therefore, please do not be confused by the various circling information and check the website of your municipality.

The Consumer Affairs Agency urges people to be wary of scams and suspicious phone calls and emails. You do not need to give out your bank or pin details over the phone or email or use an ATM or bank to receive the payment.

Please refer to the documents prepared by the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications for more information in each language.






Tiếng Việt:




Bahasa Indonesia: