Reason why you should live in a Share House
Renting an apartment in Japan (especially Tokyo) might be very expensive. For a student (worker) or a tourist, living costs in Japan are overwhelming.
However, there are different ways that might help you save up some money and spend it on something valuable for you.
I would like to introduce you to a much more affordable choice a – Share house. I know some of you might think, “I don’t want to share an apartment with some people I don’t really know”, however I will try to change your mind by highlighting some pros of share house.
Living in a Share House can give you many advantages;
2. Always have company
– someone to talk to or hangout with, share your life and struggles.
– you can end up having a long, life lasting friendship
4. Rent is cheaper
5. You will have people around which will prevent you looking messy.
–Roommates can somewhat prevent this. With people around, even people we don’t really care about make us keep some “semblance of humanity”
6. Possible parties (organized by hosts)
Did you change your mind yet? If you want to know more about Share Houses, this article is suitable for you as I will introduce a Share house network that is very friendly to Foreigners in Japan.
Recommended real estate agency in Tokyo
I would like to introduce you to one Share House network:
FRESHROOM – young real estate agency (Founded in 2005), specializing in share houses rooms’ renting. With more than 350 rooms located throughout 20 different locations, all over Tokyo.
All the share houses are located in Tokyo, and they provide you with excellent facilities.
FRESHROOM not only provides you with a living place, but also a platform for intercultural exchange; 56% of their residences are foreigners, and you can meet people from 53 different countries!
In order to help you to make friends, FRESHROOM organizes different activities such as Hanami party, Halloween party, BBQ, Wine party, Yoga class…etc every year so you will have a lot of opportunities to meet new people from other houses.
Want to know more about FRESHROOM? This April, we visited the Hanami party of FRESHROOM!!
Interviewing current residents of FRESHROOM
We joined the FRESHROOM tenants at Hanami, and we interviewed three current residents of FRESHROOM
Let’s hear from them about the life in Share House.
1st Interviewee: Han
- Name: Han
- Age: 28
- Country: Vietnam
- Job: Engineer at 宅配ボックス (Takuhaibox) company
- Which Share House do you live in? (street ad.) – Asagaya Share house, near the station.
- Any (convenience) stores around? – Cheap Supermarkets and Izakaya.
- How many other people live there? – 29
- What are your neighbors like? – Kind and Funny
- Are there a lot fun activities or parties held at the house unit?
– Yes, on the weekends: Halloween, New Year, Hanami, etc. + every Saturday “drinking party”
- What is your favorite part of the share house? – Clean, comfortable, provided furniture, Support from your new friends/neighbors
- What do you think is the best about living in a share house and would you recommend it to others? – first and one of the important conditions for me is – Safety!
2nd Interviewee: Silvan
- Name: Silvan
- Age: 37
- Country: Indonesia
- Job: English teacher
- Which Share House do you live in? (street ad.) – ShimoAkatsuka Share house, 3min from the station.
- Any (convenience) stores around? – Yes, many stores. Also it’s convenient because of the shopping street
- How many other people live there? – 15
- What are your neighbors like? – Kind, friendly
- Are there a lot of fun activities or parties held at the house unit?
– Welcome or Farewell parties (if many people gather)
- What is your favorite part of the share house? – My room & kitchen (because I love cooking and you can also meet new people there)
What do you think is the best about living in a share house and would you recommend it to others? – Good place to meet new people/friends and ofcourse save some money
3rd interviewee: Ruta
- Name: Ruta
- Age: 28
- Country: Lithuania
- Job: British company insurance sales assistant
- Which Share House do you live in? (street ad.) – Ebisu Share house, 10min from the station.
- Any (convenience) stores around? – Many convenience stores, some of which sell fresh& cheap vegetables.
- How many other people live there? – 8 (Only Female sharehouse)
- What are your neighbors like? – Busy people who prefer privacy.
- What is your favorite part of the share house? – Not being alone & feeling safe, Share culture
- What do you think is the best about living in a share house and would you recommend it to others? – You have an opportunity to meet many interesting people with different backgrounds, and it can help you generate new ideas or inspire you.
So how do you feel after the short interviews you’ve read right now?
It doesn’t sound that scary anymore right? Plus, everyone likes to meet new people and make some (international) new friends, who’s background might be totally different from yours and that’s the best part because you can discuss & share new things about your country and it’s culture.
Maybe now you might consider choosing Share house.
What about FRESHROOM? Maybe you should give it a try.
Recommended Share house in Tokyo
There are tons of different share houses that you can choose from, and you might find it difficult to choose a share house that is suitable for you. Here are some Share houses in Tokyo that I recommend.
If you are a cooking lover and you want a large fashionable kitchen…
Asagaya Share House
As you can see from the picture on the left hand corner, Asagaya Share House provides you with a fashionable kitchen and living room.
If you want to live in a quiet place in Tokyo…
Cliho Shimoakatsuka Share House
If you are tired of living in the big city, Shimoakatsuka is a place for you as it is located far away from the central Tokyo. You can enjoy both quiet and convenient life here!
If you want to live in the center of Tokyo…
Kanda Share House
Kanda Share House can provide you convenience by its great access to the JR line and Metro line. If your school or workplace is located in central Tokyo, living in Kanda Share House can make your life a lot easier.
If you want to have a healthy lifestyle…
Jingu-mae Share House
If you love yoga exercise and jogging, this share house is for you. Jingu-mae Share House is accessible to many famous running course in Tokyo. It also provides you with terrace that you can enjoy Yoga in your free time.
I hope this post helped you with your decision and you will make a good choice.
FRESHROOM not only provides you with a comfortable living place but also a place for you to meet a lot of new people! If you love activities and interacting with others, FRESHROOM would be a suitable place for you. I hope this article can give you a better idea on share house, and hope you can enjoy your new life in Japan!
☆☆☆ FRESHROOM Official Web site☆☆☆
Irina / Georgia
Photo by Hiroki Okada