How to study abroad in Japanese universities | Guidable - Your Guide to a Sustainable, Wellbeing-centred Life in Japan

How to study abroad in Japanese universities

By Guidable Writers May 1, 2017

First of all, probably the most common method to study abroad in Japan is to apply for an admission ticket from your home country for an entrance exam in Japan. This method will shorten the time period needed to enter Japan and graduate because you don’t need to enter a Japanese language school before applying for a Japanese college. If you pass the entrance exam on your first visit to Japan and finish the enrollment procedures while you’re there, you can change the visa status to the student visa without returning to your home country. Even if you don’t pass the exam on your first try, you can wait for the next chance to apply in your home country, effectively cutting off any unnecessary lodging fees.


Apply for Certificate of Eligibility

After you pass the entrance exam and finish all enrollment procedures, you need to receive a Certificate of Eligibility. The application for this certificate is commonly done by the Japanese universities you are admitted to. However, there are some universities that don’t apply for the certificate, and in that case, ask an acquaintance in Japan. It may take about two months to receive the certificate. If the certificate is issued, the college will send you your enrollment permission and the Certificate of Eligibility.



Apply for a visa

After receiving the certificate you must apply for a college student visa at the Japanese embassy in your home country. The necessary documents needed to apply are a passport, visa application form, and the Certificate of Eligibility. This procedure will only take a few days to a week, and a visa is issued.



Arrival in Japan

After receiving your visa and arriving at an airport in Japan, there will be an immigration inspection. You will need a passport with a valid visa, the Certificate of Eligibility, and the Embarkation and Disembarkation card that is normally handed out during the flight. This inspection is to check if your documents are valid and other regulations. You will receive your college student Status of Residence and Japan Residence Card that includes an IC chip with your personal information.


If you’re planning to work part-time during your stay, you should apply for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted. You will be allowed to register immediately after you are granted disembarkation permission with the Status of Residence of a college student.


These procedures to study abroad in a Japanese university may seem like a hassle, but it’s definitely worth it to study Japan in more depth.